Grand Junction, Colorado
1.6K views

Cashier: ma'am, we need you to leave your backpack behind the counter.

Me: I have an $800 iPad and $600 cash in here, I'm not leavin it.

Cashier: ma'am, it's store policy that all backpacks must be left here.

Me: can you guarantee the store will replace my valuables if it's stolen?

Cashier: the store is not responsible for theft regarding customers private property.

Me: I'm not leaving it.

Cashier: *calls manager over*

She won't leave he bag.

Mngr: ma'am, store policy requires that all bags must be left at the counter.

Me: blah blah, $800 machine, $600 cash. Responsible?

Mngr: not responsible, blah blah.

Me: may I have a plastic bag, plz?

Them: sure! No problem!

Me: *takes everything out of knapsack, places it into bag, hands them empty knapsack*

Mngr: ma'am, you'll have to leave that behind our counter.

Enter three women with purses as big as gym bags.

Mngr: welcome to our store, ladies.

They stop chatting to watch the convo, then mosey along.

Me: sir, my knapsack was on my back, cinched tight.

It would be a pain in the *** if I wanted to steal something with it,

Yet, you just allowed these customers inside who could easily shove anything in their bags with ease.

Mngr: we would never ask a customer to leave their purse.

Me: Give me my purse back then.

I wasted about 20 minutes with this ***.

And I hate stores that assume just cuz you have a knapsack, backpack, or any other bag on your shoulder

that you're going to rob them blind... even though there's cameras on every aisle and security mirrors everywhere.

***, stores.

Everyone is not a hoodlum.

Also:

My "backpack" is a small cinch sack about the size of an 8x10 picture frame.

the ladies that were welcomed in had huge gaping open purses.

Product or Service Mentioned: Family Dollar Manager.

Comments

To The Anonymous that stated, "You're probably a bad friend/parent/partner. Cleary you're a rude and arrogant judgemental jerk.

You're really going to get mad at people for calling out and confronting customers for not following the rules and the policies. Clearly all you're doing is making assumptions or accusations about others you don't know. And i am feeling sorry for anybody that has to deal with chauvinist pig like you. You're going to argue and be mad and angry all you want.

Nothing is going to change how i am feeling about this. I am always going to back up employees and managers and other customer's safety over customer's refusing to go by the rules and policies for the bags. It's better to be safe than sorry! It's like what are people like you hiding inside of those bags anyway if you don't want the employees and the managers are able to make sure their safety and other customer's safety.

BTW, nobody cares about you or what you personally think about others. It goes out one ear out the other.

People like you are going to be ignored. Maybe you're better off from being banned from the store!

SHAUN KING : THE KING OF CIVIL RIGHTS ACTIVISTS!

I THINK THAT ONE DAY I AM GOING TO ROUND UP A WHOLE BUNCH OF HOMELESS PEOPLE AND PAY EACH ONE OF THEM $5 TO ALL GO WITH ME EN MASSE TO THE FAMILY DOLLAR WITH OUR BACKPACKS ON AND REFUSE TO LEAVE THEM AT THE FRONT OF THE STORE. I'D BE WILLING TO PUT OWN A COUPLE OF HUNDRED DOLLARS TO GET ABOUT 40 BUMS WITH BACKPACKS TO HELP ME DO THIS PROTEST.

to Anonymous #1696955

Good luck with that! You're not going to get served for not not understanding the rules and the policies.

Hope and pray they throw people like you out for not understanding safety concerns! That's why these store check the bags, duh!

to Anonymous #1705798

Family Dollar corporate offices do NOT allow store managers and district managers to keep bags of any kind up front. Those managers are breaking their own corporate policies. -a former FD ASM

to Anonymous #1706204

Well. people like you are able to argue all you want.

And people like you are going to get mad ad angry all you want. Maybe people like you are trying to hide the fact you're gangbangers or thugs for not following the rules and the policies!

Grown up if you're not going to act like an adult. You're acting like an child.

to Anonymous #1706791

Well all companies and all stores want their customers, employees and managers safe! They are not breaking their rules and their policies if they want them safe.

my bag was stolen last thursday from the family dollar located at 176 main st. in rochester ny.

i had my prescription eyeglasses, several library books, and 2 vintage toy cars inside. i relayed this to the manager he gave me your telephone number, and i gave him mine.

i called the number several times to no avail. i am still waiting for an answer to this problem.

to Anonymous #1696372

Thank you for your post. I went to the Family Dollar yesterday and was able to shop without any one of the employees asking me to leave my backpack at the door.

I had many valuable items in there.

The next time I am asked to leave my backpack I will make sure to remember what happened to you and I will simply leave the store immediately and go shopping elsewhere. That is a big reason that I don't like leaving my backpack, because anybody could steal my stuff while it is being unattended.

to Anonymous #1696735

It's not the store's fault that you're getting mugged. It's your own fault for not watching your stuff.

to Anonymous #1696886

Oh, yes it is the store's fault! If the customer hadn't been asked to leave their bag at the front of the store, they would have had it with them while they were shopping and it wouldn't have gotten stolen. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a vehicle that they can leave their bags in to keep them locked up and safe.

to Anonymous #1697506

No, its not. Clearly any customer that claims this is looking for attention and looking to start something with the employees or the managers.

You're one of them! Maybe if you were so worried about getting mugged then you should of not brought it into the fist place!

to Anonymous #1705800

This is false. I carry a backpack instead of a purse because I walk everywhere.

They are liable for the stolen items because Family Dollar Corporate offices to not allow the practice of taking people's bags off them. -a former FD ASM

to Anonymous #1698137

FAMILY DOLLAR SHOULD REIMBURSE THAT POOR CUSTOMER FOR ALL OF THEIR BELONGINGS THAT WERE STOLEN! EVEN IF IT IS JUST STORE CREDIT FOR THE VALUE OF THE STOLEN ITEMS!

to Anonymous #1705803

Thugs and gangbangers? How about a middle-aged caucasian mother of a college student?

I carry a backpack. You sound ignorant. Like SUPER ignorant.

The fact that you can't connect where the blame lies makes me sorry for anyone who knows you personally. I bet you're a bad friend/partner/parent.

to Anonymous #1699448

No, the thugs or the gangbangers are held responsible. It's clear that this customer is looking to blame and shame the wrong people at the wrong time!

You are 100 percent wrong that the store is held responsible. Maybe if these thugs or gangbangers were locked up then this would of not of happened!

to Anonymous #1706795

The point that people are trying to make is that anybody is able to steal and have an weapon into those bags. It better to be safe than sorry.

And clearly it's sad and bad people like you are not understanding that and you're mad and angry just because the managers and the employees are doing their jobs.

If anybody should feel sorry for them, it is you and yourself. Maybe next time you need to follow the rules and the policies before you're going to get mad and angry.

to Anonymous #1698139

I know what you mean. Those library books can run into quite bit of money that you'll have to pay.

And those vintage cars are probably worth a bundle too. And you need your prescription eyeglasses so that you can see that charlatans (like the kind that work at family dollar) aren't ripping you off. Tell them that if they don't pay you for your stolen items that you are going to take your business elsewhere from now on.

Maybe you can get a lawyer from the legal aid society to help you to sue them. They might take your case pro-bono.

to Anonymous #1699452

umm or maybe they are able to find the people who are responsible for this. People need to stop blaming and shaming stores for people that steals from other people. If anybody that does that then they are just looking for attention.

TO THE ANTI BACKPACK PEOPLE : I HOPE THAT YOU LOSE YOUR HOME AND ALL OF YOUR MONEY AND THAT YOU ARE REDUCED TO LIVING ON THE STREETS AND CARRYING AROUND ALL OF YOUR WORDLY GOODS AROUND WITH YOU ON YOUR BACK. WHEN I FIRST BECAME HOMELESS, I SAID "FLOCK THIS" AND LEFT MY PURPLE SPALDING BAG WITH ALL OF MY DIRTY CLOTHES IN IT ALONG THE SIDE OF THE INTERSTATE IN SACREMENTO, CALIFORNIA BECAUSE I COULDN'T STAND LUGGING IT AROUND ANY MORE.

I QUICKLY FOUND OUT THAT I SHOULDN'T HAVE DID THAT AFTER GETTING SLIMED BY WET FOOD GARBAGE WHILE SLEEPING IN A DUMPSTER MARKED "CARDBOARD ONLY" IT STARTED OUT BEING CARDBOARD ONLY UNTIL THE DUMMY POURED ALL OF THE WET KITCHEN GARBAGE SLIME ON ME. THE I LEARNED THAT WHEN YOU ARE HOMELESS THAT YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE A FEW CHANGES OF CLOTHING WITH YOU. AND I AM NOT LEAVING MY BACKPACK AT THE FRONT OF THE STORE AT DOLLAR GENERAL.

I WILL MAKE THE DUMMY FOLLOW ME INTO THE STORE AND I WILL SAY "NO, I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE OFF MY BACKPACK". AND IF SOMEBODY ELSE IS RIPPING OFF THE FRONT OF THE STORE WHILE THAT IS HAPPENING, WELL THEN DOLLAR GENERAL IS GETTING EXACTLY WHAT IT DESERVES.